We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection
Mastercard’s Privacy & Data Protection team is a global, best in class team responsible for Mastercard’s compliance with applicable privacy & data protection laws and development and commercialization of data driven products in compliance with those laws.
The Global Privacy & Data Protection team at Mastercard ensures that privacy and data protection is integrated in Mastercard’s product design and business processes that collect, use, disclose or retain personal data about our customers, consumers, merchants and employees. The team also demonstrates its thought leadership for the protection of data with regulators, legislators and employees and advocates for strong external and internal standards for protecting that data.
The Counsel will be part of the Global Privacy & Data Protection team and will be responsible for ensuring privacy & data protection compliance while enabling data driven innovation within the Mastercard Data & Services (D&S) organization. The role will also involve reviewing and advising on data-related laws.
The position will be based in Sydney or Melbourne and will report to the Senior Managing Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection.
• enabling the development of information-based products and solutions, including complex algorithmic products, for the Data & Services (D&S) business in Asia Pacific (AP), while ensuring compliance with global privacy and data protection laws, utilizing privacy by design methodology.
• understanding complex data-driven business models and analytics-driven insights and identifying and applying applicable privacy and data protection laws.
• identifying business requirements resulting from new and evolving privacy and data-related laws and regulations.
• enabling Financial Institutions, Retailer, and Government verticals to build data driven products by building privacy by design into scalable and customizable solutions in AP.
• analyzing new D&S data driven products & solutions including analytic and predictive models, and e-commerce products on a regional basis.
• ensuring new products & services comply with regional privacy laws including country specific privacy and data protection laws, marketing laws, bank secrecy laws and other laws regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal, sensitive and confidential data.
• increasing awareness among business clients and regional counsel colleagues regarding privacy and data protection laws in AP through training and other initiatives.
• supporting region business counsel with the review and negotiation of applicable privacy and data protection language in agreements with affiliates, vendors, and customers.
• ensuring all activities comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
• collaborating with the commercial legal and business teams to enable and develop solutions for D&S customers in AP.
• assisting with the D&S products and services in regions outside of AP from time to time.
All About You
• Juris Doctor/LL.B. (or international equivalent) required
• Licensed to practice in one or more countries
• Experience in privacy and data protection related experience required is essential
• Ability to understand complex analytical model development and application process.
• Expertise in and track record dealing with a wide range of global privacy and data protection laws including but not limited to privacy and data protection laws in AP including Australia, Singapore and other global privacy and data regulatory laws including EU GDPR
• Understanding and track record of dealing with data protection laws and requirements for the protection and transfer of data in AP
• Familiarity with financial services industry and payment processing
• Knowledge of pseudonymization, anonymization and de-identification methodologies is advantageous
• Knowledge of interactive marketing technologies, including, social media platforms, cookies and other passive data collection technologies
• Capability and eagerness to dive-deep into the technology, and work with product and operations and technology teams when applying privacy principles
• Strong analytic capabilities and written and oral communication skills. Attention to detail is a must.
• Commercial-minded, solutions-oriented with a pragmatic and creative approach.
• Superior time management, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to excel at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering with both legal and business colleagues. Must work well in both team and individual settings.
• Ability to motivate and influence highly skilled professionals to achieve major organizational goals.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.