Head of Operational Risk
- 2IC to CRO
- Drive an uplift in risk culture across the enterprise
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of operational risk management strategies and programs
TCorp provides best-in-class investment management, financial management, solutions and advice to the New South Wales (NSW) public sector. With A$100 billion of assets under management, TCorp is a top five Australian investment manager and is the central borrowing authority of the state of NSW, with a balance sheet of A$112 billion. It is rated AAA by S&P and Aaa by Moody’s.
TCorp champions and protects the financial interests of the state and delivers sustainable returns and financial efficiencies that allow its clients to achieve their broader business objectives.
TCorp delivers this through its expert team, ability to anticipate the future needs of the state and with a deep understanding of the unique needs of the NSW Government family. We work exclusively for the NSW Government and public sector entities and our work and influence delivers positive impact for the people of NSW.
Risk Management has an enterprise wide remit and works closely with all of TCorp’s individual business divisions to provide challenge, advice, oversight and assurance; it is an integral part of all organisational initiatives, projects, systems, policies and procedures; and is an independent function responsible for the design and maintenance of the Risk Management Framework.
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) and as 2IC, the Head of Operational Risk will develop and coordinate the implementation of operational risk management resilience, strategies, programs and projects to identify, mitigate and minimise all forms of unacceptable operational risk at an enterprise-wide level; and monitor business planning and activities to identify unforeseen operational risk and initiate risk evaluation and management in consultation with the relevant business units.Key Accountabilities In This Role Will Include
- working with the CRO to design, develop, implement and maintain TCorp’s operational risk management framework, ensuring policies and practices are consistent with contemporary financial markets benchmarks, including regulatory requirements relevant to TCorp’s operations
- developing and maintaining key relationships throughout the business and with external parties, fostering thought leadership, risk awareness and a risk management culture by reinforcing risk management principles, practices and expectations
- developing, implementing and maintaining programmes designed to ensure TCorp has the appropriate systems, policies and procedures to address and report on TCorp’s operational risk exposures
- managing provision of consultancy, education, tools and other advisory support requirements to business units, embedding risk ownership appropriately within the business
- enabling the business to identify risks and successfully implement programs to manage unacceptable risk, to achieve business objectives throughout the organisation in line with the Risk Appetite Statement
- leading and managing a team of operational risk specialists
- reporting to governance forums including Management Risk Committee, Executive Committee, Audit & Risk Committee and the Board as required
To be successful in this role you will have expert knowledge and understanding of operational risk, audit and compliance principles; experience in managing operational risk for different business lines; extensive experience in the development and implementation of risk policies and practices; demonstrated ability to develop, motivate and lead a team of skilled staff; demonstrated ability to plan/organise implementation timetables and resources; strong internal and external relationship management skills plus exemplary report writing, verbal and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills and sound judgement; and strong negotiating and influencing skills with the ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders at all levels.
You will be degree qualified in a business, accounting or finance discipline and you will have a minimum of 15 years’ experience in a senior operational risk role at a financial institution or accounting firm; expert knowledge of operational risk principles and frameworks; and a comprehensive knowledge of funds management and financial markets. You will also have experience with Boards and relevant committees including experience in writing Board papers and Committee reports/submissions.
At TCorp we actively collaborate with our stakeholders to achieve the best outcomes for our clients and for the state of NSW. We aim to build an inclusive culture so we can benefit from each employee’s unique perspective and contribution. We also understand the importance of flexible working and we support our people to balance their commitments and thrive both professionally and personally.
Please submit your application via our careers portal and include a cover letter setting out how your background and capabilities align to our selection criteria and how this role fits with your career goals. Please also note your salary expectations in the relevant section of the portal.Closing date – Friday, 11 December 2020