Principal Advisor, Data Governance
About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Be part of a central team helping Rio Tinto leverage our data as an asset
- Drive the strategic governance of data across our global business
- Permanent role based in Brisbane
We are looking for a Principal Advisor, Data Governance, you will be at the heart of our work to strengthen governance over Rio Tinto's most critical data. This covers both structured and unstructured data, with a focus on enterprise master data, data critical to our enterprise risk controls, and critical records. Data governance isn't extra work for compliance, it's about creating the conditions for success for the business.
This is a great opportunity for a person who is passionate about data and the role it plays in the business and can bring that enthusiasm to bear to help us realise the true potential of our data. You're someone who loves a good challenge and gets excited about what's possible!
Reporting to the General Manager, Data Strategy & Governance and working in a diverse team, you will:
What you will bring
- Implement and champion our enterprise wide data governance framework, with a strong focus on delivering business value while managing risk and protecting sensitive data;
- Collaborate with the wider business to define and execute the data governance model in key data domains, including establishing and embedding data governance roles, ensuring clear accountability for stewardship of the company's critical information assets;
- Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality standards, processes and governance artefacts to embed data governance in how we work;
- Support the development and implementation of data management strategies across specific domains, functions or data types;
- Collaborate with global process owners and IS&T to ensure our data principles are applied whenever changes are made to business processes or new technology implemented.
What we offer
- Strong working knowledge of data governance and information management principles, best practices, and management systems
- Extensive professional experience in data governance and management, including practical experience leading and embedding data governance practices; this isn't just an ideas role, you'll need to be able to drive outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills to engage and influence a wide range of business stakeholders and programmes of work; leading by influence rather than line authority will be the norm
- Strong ability to manage complexity/ambiguity and conflicting demands, and the communication skills to help others navigate this complexity
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment across multiple teams, locations and time zones; typically through virtual collaboration
- Experience extracting value from data governance tools would be advantageous
About Rio Tinto
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP)
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Where you will be working
The Data Strategy & Governance team supports and informs Rio Tinto's strategy through ensuring integrity, provenance and trust in the data that matters, and making that data available where and when we need it. The team has global accountability, reporting through Finance while working closely with our Data Services and Information Platforms team in the technology function. Our current focus areas are building governance capability, master data management, supporting process and technology transformation, and Enterprise Content Management.Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.